Burts AIS, osCommerce & More Blog
New URL: www.osworld.biz

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Lack of Interaction - is AIS bad for your health ?

Though working from a home office is nice, I've come to the conclusion that doing this is not what I need at the moment.  For the last 5 years, I've basically been self employed (though I did sub-contract myself out for a couple of those years).  What I've been striving for over the past 18 months or so is building enough streams of income to allow myself to take as much time out as I need and not lose income.

To test this, I have not done any work since approx 10/02; income has pretty much held steady at around $176 per day (across all my income streams).  With this in mind, I'm pulling back a bit from AIS as this amount is more than enough to have fun with (consider I have no major outgoings);  I've decided to offer on-site osCommerce training to companies in the UK.  I'll probably do this 2 to 3 days a month, which should bring in a nice amount, but also, more importantly, get me out and about, making contacts and networking.

I already have my first gig booked for the end of March, 2 days intensive setting up a brand new osCommerce site and then 1 extra day providing training on the Admin section.  It's kind of going back to what I did when I was working in a corporate environment (training & development), but mixed in with what I've learned during my self employment (how to build websites & ecommerce integration).

Should be interesting!

New URL: www.osworld.biz - thanks!

4 Comments:

At 3/09/2006 11:36:00 PM, Blogger richandzhaoyan said...

Hi Gary,

Interested to hear you are getting back to the "real" world - 2 or 3 days a month - I like your style :)

Thats the kind of regular day job I could do with!

Quite surprised to hear that you are re-entering the osC world - reading your blog, I believe you were getting a little hacked off with osC - for a different reasons. Personally, I think it has got to be good news for anyone looking to get started in the online retail world. Knowing your posts on the osC forum there is no doubt that you have a very good understanding of the code and I would guess that your time in the AIS and affiliate game should have added to your knowledge of the business side of running an osC store as opposed to just the programming side - this is something I think a few members of the osC team and forum lose site of.

Best of luck with the new venture and if I hear of anyone interested in setting up an online store, I will know whos direction to send them in.

Cheers,
Rich

 
At 3/10/2006 11:43:00 AM, Anonymous Tom said...

Good luck with it Gary.

Must be exciting to have something new on the horizon.

Inspiring to hear of someone who's managed to achieve an income level they're happy with from AIS, while the rest of us are just starting out!

 
At 3/10/2006 01:48:00 PM, Blogger Gary B. said...

Rich; Cheers. The only reason I left osCommerce is because of the actions of Harald Ponce de Leon and his chosen moderating team. I have not looked at the forum there in probably 6 months.

I gave it 3 years on that Forum + an extra year before that Forum was even set up - to be told to "f--- off" by a member of the Core Team was the straw that broke the camels back. I fully intend not to rejoin the forum as I do not wish to restart a relationship with HPDL or his cronies.

Tom; You need to remember that I have been doing AIS for well over 2 years (at the start it was part time) - so I have built up a good head of steam with it.

 
At 3/10/2006 05:30:00 PM, Anonymous One Dollar A Day said...

Very interesting Gary...one of the reasons I went back to employment was that I did actually miss going to work and interacting with people (amongst other reasons). Looking back, sitting at home working did me no good at all!

Training is a very well paid area to get into if you can do it. I know for a fact that the company I work for charges £700 per day per trainer for on-site training ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

View Latest Posts

To View Newer Posts - Click Here!