Burts AIS, osCommerce & More Blog
New URL: www.osworld.biz

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Don't Sell Information; Save My Time!

Yesterday I had a short email conversation with someone about how to go forward with an AIS idea. As everyone knows, I can come up with ideas and angles that no-one else thinks of, my mind works in mysterious ways :) Sometimes it's just as easy to do what's very straightforward... The Idea My idea for this person was for him to sit down and create an eBook about where he lives (it's an exotic holiday destination). The eBook would have details of everything, from where to eat, how to dress, how to get from a 2 b, the local laws and so on. His response:

...I could see why you would think that’s a great idea but all that info is already well publicised and free...
Sure, that's a good reason, but not a good enough reason. We know that the *vast* majority of people searching for things on the net are not internet-savvy. They don't want to have to spend hours to find out stuff about XYZ. A simple eBook which gives all the info in one place will save them time. My reply:
...what every eBook seller does, is SAVE THE BUYERS TIME. If you put together an eBook with *everything* in it, I'll buy it - I'd rather spend £20 and get the info delivered to me, than spend even one hour hunting for stuff...
Don't sell a product; save the buyers time! Those just getting into this game need to know that you are not selling a product - what you are doing is saving time. ~ The time needed for John Smith to search out loads of sites about XYZ, the time to print it all of (buy my ebook instead) ~ The time needed to build an ecommerce website (buy my template instead) I'm sure you get the idea. Internet Savvy? Now, if you are reading this Blog, then you are most likely a fairly internet-savvy person. You probably have been online for a good few years, you probably know how to search out information quickly and easily. Forget all that. Put yourself into the shoes of someone who just bought their first computer - and angle your AIS towards them...

New URL: www.osworld.biz - thanks!

2 Comments:

At 1/21/2006 12:23:00 PM, Anonymous One Dollar A Day said...

Haha! I have a draft post saved on my blog saying almost exactly the same thing about eBooks - most people hate spending time searching for information. A lot of people don't actually have the skill to find out what they want. You can find out almost anything you want on the net if you spend long enough looking, but the information is disparate - if you spend the time finding snippets of information and compiling it into a book, people will buy it :)

 
At 1/22/2006 10:18:00 AM, Blogger Gary B. said...

Great minds, think alike ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

View Latest Posts

To View Newer Posts - Click Here!