Burts AIS, osCommerce & More Blog
New URL: www.osworld.biz

Monday, December 05, 2005

Procrastination is the Enemy of us all

Procrastination. I used to be guilty of this, but around 18 months ago decided that I would never say "what if..." again. When I get an idea, I carry it out almost straightaway. When I see a product that I think can help me to grow my business I buy it, if it's affordable! If it's not affordable then I hunt for scripts that will do the same job or pay to have them built (or build them myself). Here's a quote from an email I received today:

Basically I bought 2 domains to sell templates from ... I know you've already started selling them ... so I have missed the boat I'd imagine..
Procrastination killed this guys idea stone dead! He spent out on a couple of domains (OK, so it's next to nothing for a couple of .com's), but then he never took the idea that he had forward! And someone else, namely me, got in first to bring a product to market. If he had not waited, and spent a few hours sourcing a couple of products, he could have been the market leader for this idea, easily. Here's another quote, taken from a Forum:
Hey, price went up already! Darn, I was going to buy for $47. I can justify that ... but not $67.
This guy wanted to buy the new product I released - but held back from doing so. I posted that I was about to raise prices and left it overnight so that anyone could buy at the lower price. Procrastination - he could have nipped in at $47, but chose to wait...now for the sake of an extra $20 that he is not willing to spend his business will suffer! So, are you guilty of procrastination? Why is that? What can you do to make sure that you never say "what if..." again?

New URL: www.osworld.biz - thanks!

6 Comments:

At 12/05/2005 12:53:00 PM, Blogger Chris H said...

Nice post G!

You've just shown that someone else's procrastination is your best friend.

So where does procrastination come from? I believe it's source lies within ourselves. Primarily it's seed is inertia within our own being. Couple this with a lack of belief in what you're doing or what your plans are and you end up totally screwed.

Thanks for the wakeup!

 
At 12/05/2005 09:15:00 PM, Anonymous Tom said...

I agree Chris.

It's taking me ages to set up my e-book site, and one of the main reasons for this is the sporadic falls in enthusiasm I experience when I start thinking "this will never work" or "I'm not good enough to pull this off". It's quite hard to stay motivated when you're not sure if something will succeed or not.

 
At 12/05/2005 09:15:00 PM, Blogger Paul said...

As you know G,

I've been meaning to get an ecommerce presence for Netcomm UK for ages (2 years or so?) and so far haven't managed to get the time to get it all running properly etc.

I hate to think where I could be now if I had gone all out at it back then.

I've now decided it is time something was done about this so I'm aiming for a January launch of our new ecommerce/e-procurement system. It is being developed to take it further than just a shop, I want to be amongst the forerunners.

 
At 12/05/2005 10:49:00 PM, Anonymous Matt said...

I was like that with taking mattian forward for a long time, but recently Ive invested a helluva lot of cash into it and its already starting to pay off, what Ive got planned is only the start :)

 
At 12/06/2005 01:28:00 PM, Blogger Gary B. said...

Nice one chaps. Of course procrastination is not the only reason why ideas fail - sometimes it is lack of funds, or too busy elsewhere...

But, most people can find the time if they try hard enough. A good example; I was spending upto an hour a day uploading files to new hosting accounts. It was the same few files every time, and it was a real pain in the arse. Then someone told me about a "skel" account - of course I went and researched what that was, got it working and saved an hour daily!

It's an hour that I can spend doing other things!

Chris; I think you are right about belief. If you truly believe in something then you'll work your arse off to make it happen. If you don't believe, then it'll die a slow and painful death. A good example is a graphics product which I bought resell rights to - it's an OK product, but could have been so much better had the developer spent a little more time on it. I didn't really believe in the product, so gave up selling it after about 3 weeks...

Tom; I find it ultra-hard to stay motivated. I am the laziest person you could ever meet. What I have is a picture stuck on my office wall of the house that I would love to buy. It *will* happen one day!

Paul; Good for you - make it happen in the New Year!

Matt; Excellent, I'm looking forward to seeing your new services!

For me, procrastination is not the problem that it used to be. Of course, sometimes I like to be lazy...

Sometimes, I'm so "in the zone" that I cannot sleep at night because my head is buzzing with business ideas or ways to imporve my websites or how to increase adsense etc...makes me sound like a money-freak, but that couldn't really be further from the truth.

Other times (like today), I cannot get motivated enough to do anything - I just finished watching a rerun of Germany v England at World Cup 1990 on Eurosports...so today, business-wise, it's a washout. I'll do an hour of work later, and then it's off to the pub to watch the Liverpool - Chelsea CL match...

 
At 12/06/2005 02:38:00 PM, Anonymous Chance said...

I've got a little bit different problem- I have no problem starting projects, its just that when I get going I think of more and more ways to improve it, and feature and scope creep keep delaying launch!

I have a hard time saying "Oh, enough is enough!" and just flipping the switch on. Its something that I see in products I am working on even today, and I am having to constantly manage myself and tell myself things like "Ok, this can wait for ver2, this can wait for the next version" and the like.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

View Latest Posts

To View Newer Posts - Click Here!