Burts AIS, osCommerce & More Blog
New URL: www.osworld.biz

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

I'm done for the day + eBay Story

I just hit this weeks (7th -> 14th) target of $959, a day early. So I'm done for the day and I've decided to take tomorrow off as well. Give me a chance to recharge my batteries a bit... I recently found an eBay listing for a bicycle from a newish eBay user - obviously as a new user he couldn't put on a "buy it now" button. In his description he said that he would sell for £325, so I contacted him and offered £325 to end the auction early and sell to me...I would have travelled to Plymouth to pick it up as well. Didn't hear back so thought no more of it. The bike ended up selling for about £280 (as I forgot to place a bid on it), so this guy ended up £40 down on what I would have paid. Oh well!

New URL: www.osworld.biz - thanks!

7 Comments:

At 12/13/2005 06:55:00 PM, Anonymous Chance said...

Whats your favorite bike make and model Burt?

I'm thinking about getting one, and you seem to have a little experience. I would like to keep it around $500 USD.

 
At 12/14/2005 12:53:00 AM, Blogger Gary B. said...

I wouldn't have any other make than a Marin. Great bikes at sensible prices.

If you're OK to purchase a used bike then there are some great bargains on eBay. Look for a 2004 Marin, any older and it's not worth buying...

If you prefer to buy new, have a look at this - nice at $570, and if you went to a dealer you could probably wangle an extra 10% off for a cash sale.

At the moment I'm after such a bike, as my Marin is really on it's last legs - it's 10 years old & must have done a fair few thousand miles. Of course, the problem is the difference in cost; that bike is $570 US and £459 UK (equiv to $872 US)...I wonder how much it would cost to ship a bike from the US? I'm going to look that up tomorrow - probably a lot, but maybe less than $300 ?

 
At 12/14/2005 12:39:00 PM, Blogger Gary B. said...

OK, so UPS will charge me $928 to ship a bike from the US to the UK. Outrageous !

 
At 12/14/2005 06:26:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gary,
We ship some internationally and find that UPS is extremely expensive for those shipments. We have found USPS to be much more economical. It may still be expensive, but certainly better than UPS. The only limitation may be the size of the package.

Terral

 
At 12/15/2005 02:31:00 PM, Blogger Gary B. said...

Hi Terral, thanks for that :)

I checked UPS and a bike would be too large. Looks like I won't be importing a bike after all :(

Ah well, not to worry. Maybe I'll treat myself in the New Year...

 
At 12/15/2005 02:32:00 PM, Blogger Gary B. said...

That should of course say USPS, not UPS! D'oh.

 
At 12/15/2005 02:49:00 PM, Anonymous Chance said...

Gary, email me the weight and your shipping address, and I can see what I can do on shipping.

My company gets deep shipping discounts with all the companies (including some worldwide freight companies), and I should be able to get you a better price- we ship thousands of pounds of matterial all around the world each year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

View Latest Posts

To View Newer Posts - Click Here!