Burts AIS, osCommerce & More Blog
New URL: www.osworld.biz

Sunday, November 20, 2005

I'm so dumb...

Today, I got around to looking at one of my content websites. It produces about $5 per day on average via Adsense (it's my 3rd best Adsense producer), and I wanted to increase that upto $10 per day by monetizing it in other ways. So I got a freelancer to write an eBook based on the site subject and have added it for sale & instant download (basically the perfect AIS). This eBook cost me £90 to have written (about $165), but was worth it as I do not really know much about the subject. Anyway, whilst I was adding in the new sales page, I took a look at the site stats and saw hundreds of 404 errors. It turns out that when I originally monetized the site (this was a site I purchased from someone else), I had missed a page. This page is getting at least 40 hits daily from Search Engines! What a fool! I've now made that all better so would hope to see increased Adsense Revenue on the site now, as well as some sales of the eBook. I'll give it a month, and if it doesn't take off as I expect it to, I will probably end up selling the site (as said, I know nothing about the subject)... Anyway, moral of the story - check your webstats regularly - make sure to keep a close eye on any 404s that are produced! You could be losing out on a nice little income!

New URL: www.osworld.biz - thanks!

9 Comments:

At 11/21/2005 03:57:00 PM, Blogger JavaRoasters said...

I think it should be standard that you get an email when a file or page is not found on your site, this way (when you get 100 emails a day) you are more likely to fix the problem. I am doing this with my new site and it is working well and the deeper I get into getting the site ready the more emails I seem to get. But then I fix the problem and move on. At least I know that the pages are there and all the files that the page needs.

 
At 11/21/2005 04:07:00 PM, Blogger Gary B. said...

JR, that's a good idea! How difficult would that be to implement?

Quick update - the site in question has already produced $5.38 and there is 16 hours of the day to go yet. It would seem that I've missed out on quite a bit of income over the last 6 months from this one ultra-stupid mistake :(

 
At 11/21/2005 04:08:00 PM, Blogger Gary B. said...

Hmmm. How about a custom (php based) 404 that grabs the referring page name and emails the site owner...

That would work OK, I guess. Is there an easier way using cPanel ?

 
At 11/21/2005 06:23:00 PM, Blogger JavaRoasters said...

JR, that's a good idea! How difficult would that be to implement?

It is not that hard at all on an osC site as it is part of the http error contribution. Getting the page to display properly was much more of a headache. It is contribution #933. I have gotten 748 emails in total, none today. :)

 
At 11/21/2005 09:00:00 PM, Blogger Gary B. said...

This site is now on $8.23 ! I've missed out on so much money over the last 6 months! I'll let you know the final tally when the Adsense renews tomorrow morning.

 
At 11/21/2005 09:01:00 PM, Blogger Gary B. said...

JR; this isn't an osC site - it's a normal content site..

I'll create something tomorrow and post it up here.

Cheers for the idea!

 
At 11/22/2005 01:15:00 AM, Blogger JavaRoasters said...

The code from the contribution should be pretty transferable since it uses .htaccess and a bit of code on the error page. You should be able to cut and past ... almost.

 
At 11/22/2005 11:00:00 AM, Blogger Gary B. said...

Cheers JR - I'll take a look.

This site ended up on $11.14 in total for yesterday, which is it's highest daily figure since I've been running the site and is double it's daily average!

Result! But a bit annoyed I didn't notice my mistake months ago!

 
At 11/23/2005 10:49:00 AM, Blogger Gary B. said...

It's been two days sonce I rectified that mistake, and these 2 days have been the highest ever.

$11.14 and $9.12, which means a 2 day average of $10.13 !

I'll keep track of this for a while and see what the "longer term" average is going to be. Hopefully,all being well I can keep it at around $10 per day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

View Latest Posts

To View Newer Posts - Click Here!