Burts AIS, osCommerce & More Blog
New URL: www.osworld.biz

Sunday, November 13, 2005

AIS Idea = sell posters & movie merchandise

Last night I hired Sahara on DVD - don't bother, it is totally awful. A real turkey. While at teh Video Store I asked if they ever have any spare merchandise that they don't want. They told me that they throw loads of merchandise away *including* cardboard life sized stand up figures... I've written about this idea before in my previous blog, but never really took it forward. All you need to do is ask your local video store or cinema to save all the "throwaway" merchandise for you. Then sell it on eBay. I reckon that posters should go for a minimum of a few pounds each and those lifer size figures should go for quite a lot! If you can get it all for free, then surely there is good money to be made. Of course, it's not an AIS really as there is work involved in sourcing the products, eBaying and posting them. but even so, I think it could be well worthwhile to do this.

New URL: www.osworld.biz - thanks!

6 Comments:

At 11/13/2005 12:06:00 PM, Blogger Oli said...

A lot of places seem to have a policy of throwing everything out, whether anyone would be willing to take it off their hands or not. I've heard stories about employees having to destroy merchandise before throwing it out so people don't just take it out of the bins!

Obviously it'll depend on the place though, and if they stick to any policy they may have ;-)

Did they mention anything about this when you asked?

 
At 11/13/2005 04:30:00 PM, Blogger Gary B. said...

When I worked at one of the Banks (this is going back about 10 years) they use to throw out computers, intact. Saying that they were only small pentium machines, but at the time they were the dogs bolx. It's *amazing* what does get chucked out.

Anyway, the video shop said I can take whatever I like. Mind you I didn't tell them it would be sold off on eBay so that might change their mind...

I might give it a go in the near future; if anyone does start this before me, let us all know how you get on please!

 
At 11/13/2005 06:31:00 PM, Blogger Oli said...

Out of interest, was it a big national chain store you were in? Or just a small local place?

 
At 11/14/2005 07:33:00 AM, Anonymous jared said...

How do you plan on shipping the life-sized figures?

 
At 11/14/2005 11:03:00 AM, Blogger baldy said...

My bro once worked at a theatre/cinema and used to bring home a few of those life sized figures...they don't fold down too small so are tricky to package & ship! Same with those huge posters - the only way to ship them effectively is in a cardboard tube which equals expensive P&P!

 
At 11/14/2005 11:09:00 AM, Blogger Gary B. said...

The Logistics is difficult, but worth looking at in my opinion...

I might give it a go next month and see how it fares.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

View Latest Posts

To View Newer Posts - Click Here!