Burts AIS, osCommerce & More Blog
New URL: www.osworld.biz

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Paypal Chargebacks - worth fighting?

I don't get many chargebacks via Paypal (maybe around 5 or 6 per year) - I generally don't bother fighting them as it is most likely that Paypal will side with the buyer rather than the seller... However, I recently received a chargeback from someone who stated to Paypal "I never received the item". I knew that this was a crock of BS as the person in question had emailed me for further advice on one part of the eBook that she purchased! So I decide to fight this one! I supplied documentary proof that the person physiclaly downloaded the eBook (both from my own reporting login, and the raw stats provided by my host). I also supplied the usual legal shenanigans about UK Law (no refunds on digital items), as well as emails that this person sent to me regarding the need for further help... Well, it took Paypal 4 months, but in the end I won! As you can see the amount in question was next to nothing, only £9.99 (about $20), but the principle was at stake - I knew that the person was telling outright lies about not receiving the product. So, Paypal do sometimes side with the Seller rather than the Buyer! My only question - why on earth do people want to tell lies (and commit fraud) for the sake of $20 ? It just does not make sense to me at all.

New URL: www.osworld.biz - thanks!

4 Comments:

At 10/27/2005 03:02:00 PM, Blogger Oli said...

"My only question - why on earth do people want to tell lies (and commit fraud) for the sake of $20 ? "

The main part of it is probably them thinking they can get away with it as it's online :(

 
At 10/27/2005 04:30:00 PM, Anonymous boo said...

Good on ya!

 
At 10/27/2005 10:18:00 PM, Anonymous Chris said...

They do it cos there's no comeback if they get found out. What's going to happen to them, even with the evidence? Nothing, that's what.

 
At 10/28/2005 03:38:00 PM, Anonymous Dreamscape said...

Yeah sometimes it may be intentional fraud, but sometimes people just forget they bought stuff.

Out of curiosity, what do your charges show up on people's credit card statements as?

I often get charges with either very generic descriptions or descriptions not related at all to the company or item purchased.

I am always like "what the hell is this for?" when I see charges like that, and have to go back through my receipts and match up on price around the date it was charged just to find out what the hell I bought and who the hell I bought it from.

On the other hand, charges that do describe either the company or item purchased, I usually have no trouble immediately recalling what I bought.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

View Latest Posts

To View Newer Posts - Click Here!