Burts AIS, osCommerce & More Blog
New URL: www.osworld.biz

Monday, October 31, 2005

Amazon Customer Service

I recently used the 'Customer Support' email form at Amazon to ask a fairly straightforward question, If I purchase an item from someones wishlist, would they be made aware of my home address. OK, fairly easy, simple question which is not covered in their privacy policy! The initial response was obviously not from a "human", and it amounted to:

As a wishlist owner your address is never displayed, only the town and state (if in the US).
Obviously this is not at all what I asked, so I emailed back, the response:
Thank you for writing to us at Amazon.com. I have reviewed our previous correspondence with you, and I offer my sincere apologies for any misunderstanding thus far. If you choose to make your Wish List searchable, any visitor to Amazon.com can access your list by searching for your name or your e-mail address. If you choose not to make your Wish List searchable, only those people to whom you send notice of your Wish List will be able to access it. When you create your Wish List, you can enter the e-mail addresses of those people, and we'll send them an e-mail on your behalf containing a link to your list. When you share your list with others, we won't share your address or phone number with them. We display only your name, your city, and the state or country where you live, and your optional self-description. You can make your list either searchable or non-searchable after it has been created. Click the "Edit this information" link in the "About This List" box in the right-hand margin. Once you have signed in with your e-mail address and password, select the appropriate "This list will be viewable by" option and click the "Save Changes" button at the bottom of the page. Please allow 48 hours for any change to the search options to become effective online.
Great. So now I know everything that I need to know about Wish Lists, but not the answer to my original question. I think this may have been a non-human response. So I email back once again, and get this in reply:
I'm very sorry for the misunderstanding so far. I have reviewed our previous correspondence and understand that you have not actually received the answer to your question. The answer is yes, when you place an order from a wishlist, you will not be able to see the recipients address, as you should know by now, but as long as your address is in the billing address section, this will be displayed on the packing slip that they receive. We are unable to offer the option to have a gift sent anonymously. We require a correct billing address to be submitted for each order, and this address appears on the invoice included with each package. For gift orders, we will not include the price of the order on the invoice, but all other information will appear. I hope this has finally answered your question, and I am very sorry that it took so long.
At last! The answer to the question! So, if purchasing from someones wishlist, that person will get your private details - this is not covered in the Amazon Privacy Policy as far as I can see, so beware! Anyway, the upshot is: If a human had read my question, I'd have got the right answer first time. Of course, this took 2 days for Amazon to answer a simple question...which is not good enough in my opinion. At least they had the good grace to apologise a couple of times ;)

New URL: www.osworld.biz - thanks!

1 Comments:

At 10/31/2005 06:14:00 PM, Anonymous Wil Rushmer said...

The upside to amazons customer service is:

twice i have ordered a book and called them when it was 3-4 days late in arriving, both times they reshipped the book and only asked if the first one arrives if I could send it back cod. Both times i recieved two copies of the book and sent back the first. I thought that was great customer service as most shops will put in claim with the shipping company first and make you wait the 30 days for the claim to resolve.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

View Latest Posts

To View Newer Posts - Click Here!